I am fairly cynical about How-To anything and especially How-To things that have to do with writing. I would say write everyday and read everyday. Read the things you like and write the things you like. But if you are a writer you are doing that already.
Here are some more things you either know or are doing already, or both:
- Don't be afraid.
- Work in a not-too-comfortable room without a view.
- Nobody chooses to write.
- Words have a rhythm and you either hear the rhythm or you don't.
- Part of your business is rejection.
- Each day stop at the place where you want to go on.
- Rewrite the words of the story but not its life.
- Have a first reader who is neither too kind nor too cruel.
- Let your story find its own way.
- Give the reader room to participate.